Fla. county remembers 50-year police veteran
BROWARD COUNTY, Fla. — As one of the oldest active law enforcement officers in Florida, Edward Patten Jr. spent more than half his life fighting crime, working for seven different police departments during his 49-year career.
He rose to chief in Sunrise and Lauderdale-by-the-Sea before becoming a commander at the Broward Sheriff's Office when it merged with Lauderdale-by-the-Sea in 2001.
Four years ago, he was diagnosed with liver cancer, which later spread to his lungs.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Fla. county remembers 50-year police veteran
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman