Police honor ex-officer for bravery
By Kim Bell
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
ST. LOUIS — Former city police Officer Melburn F. Stein has a roomful of memorabilia and a vivid memory about his role 55 years ago in foiling the famed Southwest Bank heist.
The lanky ex-Marine, now 94, was promoted hastily to corporal for what he did. He received letters of thanks that year from the circuit attorney and mayor. The hostage he saved lauded him for dropping the head bandit with "a perfect shot."
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Police honor ex-officer for bravery
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy