Fla. trooper injured rescuing woman who drove into lake
By Dianna Cahn
BOCA RATON, Fla. — A Florida Highway Patrol trooper nearly drowned Monday trying to save a Boca Raton woman who intentionally drove her car into a lake at the Glades Road exit of Florida's Turnpike, authorities said.
The 56-year-old woman left the exit ramp shortly before 7 a.m., drove behind a barrier and accelerated her vehicle as she headed directly into the water, FHP spokesman Sgt. Jorge Delahoz said. She managed to drive fast enough to launch the vehicle 60 feet from the shoulder into the center of the lake.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman