Retired police captain remembered in Texas
By Patrick George
AUSTIN, Texas — When Louie White joined the Austin Police Department in 1959, there were only seven black officers, and none of them was allowed to arrest white suspects.
He began his career at a time of widespread racism but persevered and was promoted to captain, later leading the department's diversity hiring initiative in the 1970s and helping recruit a generation of black officers.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Retired police captain remembered in Texas
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help