Miami officer, burned in '04 crash, dies
By Susannah Nesmith
MIAMI — A decorated former Miami police officer who was badly burned in a drunk-driving accident and then spent years fighting with the city and the police union over who should cover his hospital bills died Monday of heart failure, police said.
Darryl Smith was 57.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Miami officer, burned in '04 crash, dies
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court