Obama: Shooting of officers reminder of sacrifices
HOLMDEL, N.J. — President Barack Obama says the wounding of five police officers in a New Jersey shootout reminds the country of the sacrifices that officers and their families make every day.
Two police officers were critically wounded Thursday morning during a shootout in Jersey City while three other officers were treated and released. Obama spoke hours later at a political fundraiser and a rally for New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine.
Obama says his thoughts and prayers go out to the families of those officers and added: "We are confident that they are going to come back as strong as ever."
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests