Blood drive in memory of N.J. officer draws hundreds
By Carly Rothman
JERSEY CITY, N.J. — Dozens of somber Jersey City police officers began gathering early today to honor one of their own, standing shoulder to shoulder with more than 300 civilians, law enforcement officers and firefighters from across the state.
They held not a vigil or a memorial service, but a blood drive at a Jersey City office building, recalling Detective Marc DiNardo's generous nature -- and the hundreds of pints of blood used in the effort to save his and other officers' lives after a shootout last week with an armed robbery suspect.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman