Chicago officers save man held hostage by knife-wielding suspect
By Dave Newbart, Lisa Donovan, Lauren Guy and Kara Spak
CHICAGO — Trying to stop a knife-wielding man from killing an elderly man at one of the Loop's busiest corners at midday Thursday, a Chicago Police officer opened fire -- killing the suspect and striking a fellow officer, Police Supt. Jody Weis said.
The friendly fire bullet hit the officer in the vest -- but didn't penetrate, Weis said.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms