Three officers hurt in N.J. motel fire
LAKEWOOD, N.J. — Officials say one person was killed and three police officers were injured in an early morning fire at a hotel in central New Jersey.
Lakewood police Sgt. Edward Rupp says about 50 residents were displaced by the fast-moving blaze at the Capitol Motel in Lakewood. Dozens of others, including residents and staffers, were able to safely flee the building when the fire started just after 3 a.m. Sunday.
It was not immediately clear what caused the blaze, which severely damaged the three-story motel.
Information about the person killed in the fire was not immediately disclosed.
The three officers suffered smoke inhalation and were taken to Kimball Medical Center in Lakewood, where they were treated and released.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court