Minn. deputy killed after volunteering to direct traffic
By Sarah Lemagie
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. — Outside the entrance to Fright Farm in Maplewood, black tape covered the sheriff's emblems on the doors of a patrol car Sunday. Flowers and notes on the windshield paid tribute to Mike Wilken, a Ramsey County reserve deputy and regular haunted house volunteer who had died just hours before.
Wilken, 56, of Newport, was on traffic duty for the event when a vehicle driven by a "common Joe Citizen" struck him at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday near the intersection of White Bear Avenue and Frost Avenue, said Maplewood police Sgt. Kevin Johnson.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman