Houston cop's '666' badge scares criminals
Officer's grandfather wore the number, too
By Moises Mendoza
HOUSTON — Houston Police Officer Carl Black still remembers getting ready to fight the hulking 6-foot-6, 280-pound thug who was threatening him about 17 years ago. The suspect readied to attack as he ripped off his shirt and shouted “You're not going to take me to jail!”
Then he looked at Black's uniform, fell to his knees and gave up. After putting him in his police car, the young officer asked why he had surrendered.
“I ain't fighting the devil,” the man said. The suspect had caught a glimpse of Black's badge number. It was 666.
Black, now 41 and a 20-year veteran of the force, is in the unusual fraternity of police officers who have worn the mark of the beast on their uniforms — the number in the biblical book of Revelations that signifies the ultimate evil.
Read full story: HPD officer's '666' badge scares the devil out of some
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy