Philly officer who left mark on community honored 14 years later
Lauretha Vaird was gunned down during a '96 bank robbery in Phila.
PHILADELPHIA — In the 14 years since Philadelphia Police Officer Lauretha Vaird was shot and killed while responding to a bank robbery, little had been done to publicly memorialize her. That changed yesterday.
Police cruisers lined Whitaker Avenue outside the Boys and Girls Club in Feltonville, which is named for Vaird. Inside, 25 members of her 25th District stood at attention as dignitaries recognized her on the anniversary of her death.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
- Community Policing
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman