In last week of 30-year career, Calif. cop saves a life
Officer Darrell Cortez saved an elderly woman hanging from a tree
By Sean Webby
San Jose Mercury News
SAN JOSE, Calif. — Less than a week until his retirement, San Jose police officer Darrell Cortez figured he would work his last few patrol shifts, already looking forward to continuing his work as state president of the Latino Peace Officers' Association and playing a few leisurely rounds at Los Lagos.
But this morning, the 52-year-old officer found himself cutting down a woman hanging from a rope dangling from a downtown tree and resuscitating her.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house