Crime-fighting couple honored for preventing Ill. attack
Married deputies stopped mob attack on teen
By Rummana Hussain
COOK COUNTY, Ill. — When Monica and Derrick Rhodes got married nearly two years ago, they promised to stick together in sickness and in health, in good times and bad.
The couple, who are both Cook County Sheriff's officers, weren't necessarily thinking about their vows when they saw a mob throwing bricks and bottles at a 15-year-old girl in their South Side neighborhood last fall. But acting quickly and working together, they were able to stop the escalating violence.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman