BP agent killed in collision with steer
Duty Death: Agent Mark Van Doren - [Brooks County, Texas]
By PoliceOne Staff
One Border Patrol agent was killed and another severely injured after the Crown Victoria in which they were travelling collided with a steer and a tree on Farm-to-Market Road 755, in Brooks County, Texas. Agent Mark Van Doren was declared dead at the scene — Agent Adelaido Martinez was taken by helicopter to Corpus Christi Memorial Hospital where he has been listed in serious condition.
According a report in the Fort Worth Star Telegram, a Border Patrol spokeswoman indicated that neither agent was wearing a seatbelt — the speed limit on the road they where the collision occurred is reportedly 65 miles per hour.
The website for KGBT-TV 4 states in its coverage of the incident that “cattle and other livestock have the right-of-way on farm-to-market roads, ranch roads, and state highways” under Texas state law.
The Dallas Morning News, The Fort Worth Star Telegram, ODMP.org, and KGBT.com contributed to this report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help