NJ trooper dies after being struck by car
Marc Castellano was struck while looking for two people who had abandoned a vehicle
Duty Death: Marc Castellano - [New Jersey State Police, New Jersey]
HOWELL, N.J. — New Jersey State Police say a trooper struck by a car on Interstate 195 while looking for two people who had abandoned a vehicle has died.
Capt. Gerald Lewis Jr. says Marc Castellano was struck at around 10 a.m. Sunday near an exit ramp in Howell Township. He later died at Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune.
The abandoned auto's driver was found hiding in the woods and taken into custody. Charges are pending.
The woman told authorities a man was riding with her, and dozens of officials spent hours looking for him. The search ended Sunday night when investigators began questioning her claims.
Four officers were taken to a hospital and treated for heat exhaustion.
Castellano was a married father of two young children. He had been a trooper for five years.
Copyright 2010 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms