Calif. CHP officer dies two weeks after being hit by vehicle
Ortiz served for 28 years and is survived by his wife, parents and sister
Duty Death: Philip Ortiz - [California Highway Patrol, California]
By PoliceOne Staff
LOS ANGELES — Motorcycle Officer Philip Ortiz died Tuesday of injuries he suffered two weeks earlier, when he was struck by a vehicle on I-405 in West Los Angeles.
He was issuing a traffic citation to a driver when another car, which was passing another vehicle on the shoulder, struck the officer and his motorcycle.
Officer Ortiz was pinned in the wreckage and had to be removed by a rescue crew. He was transported to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center where he remained until he passed away on Tuesday.
Officer Ortiz served with the California Highway Patrol for 28 years. He is survived by his wife, parents, and sister.
Read more on ODMP.org.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court