Chicago cop killed with own gun
Shot by attacker after struggle outside police station
Duty Death: Thor Soderberg - [Chicago, Illinois]
By Frank Main, Cheryl V. Jackson, Stefano Esposito and Rummana Hussain
The Chicago Sun-Times
CHICAGO — An academy instructor who volunteered his time by serving as a guide to a blind triathlete — was shot and killed with his own weapon Wednesday afternoon during a struggle outside a South Side police station, authorities said.
Officer Thor Soderberg, 43, was killed about 3:45 p.m. at 61st and Racine in the parking lot outside the former Englewood District police station, which is now used by the department's targeted response and gang enforcement units.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Chicago cop killed with own gun
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper