Off-duty Chicago cop shot outside home was set to retire
Duty Death: Michael Bailey - [Chicago, Illinois]
By Frank Main, Mark Konkol, Fran Spielman, and Kim Janssen
The Chicago Sun Times
Police Officer Michael Bailey was less than a month away from retirement when he ended an overnight shift guarding the mayor's home early Sunday morning.
The 62-year-old had recently developed a routine: He'd park outside his South Side home, lock his bulletproof vest in the trunk and wipe down the shiny black Buick Regal he'd bought just three weeks ago to celebrate the quieter life he was about to enjoy.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds