Young Kan. deputy dies in auto accident
Deputy Samuel Smith had served with the Franklin County Sheriff's Office for only nine months
Duty Death: Samuel Smith - [Franklin County, Kansas]
By PoliceOne Staff
FRANKLIN COUNTY, Ks. — Deputy Samuel Smith was killed in an automobile accident on California Road while responding to domestic disturbance call.
The 22-year-old's patrol car left the roadway for unknown reasons and struck a tree before bursting into flames.
Deputy Smith had served with the Franklin County Sheriff's Office for only nine months and, according to Sheriff Jeffry Curry, "was respected by his peers and will be missed."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house