Young Kan. deputy dies in auto accident
Deputy Samuel Smith had served with the Franklin County Sheriff's Office for only nine months
Duty Death: Samuel Smith - [Franklin County, Kansas]
By PoliceOne Staff
FRANKLIN COUNTY, Ks. — Deputy Samuel Smith was killed in an automobile accident on California Road while responding to domestic disturbance call.
The 22-year-old's patrol car left the roadway for unknown reasons and struck a tree before bursting into flames.
Deputy Smith had served with the Franklin County Sheriff's Office for only nine months and, according to Sheriff Jeffry Curry, "was respected by his peers and will be missed."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court