Minn. cop dies 18 months after being shot
Prior to Deputy Chris Dewey's death, the suspect was charged with attempted murder and 20 felony counts
Duty Death: Christopher Dewey - [Mahnomen County, Minnesota]
By PoliceOne Staff
MAHNOMEN COUNTY, Minn. — Deputy Chris Dewey died from gunshot wounds sustained 18 months earlier. He was shot while responding to reports of a drunk driver in Mahnomen, Minn.
On February 18, 2009, Deputy Dewey responded to the call. When he arrived, he was shot in the head and abdomen by the suspect. When back-up units arrived, they found Deputy Dewey and transported him to the hospital.
A search for the suspect led to a nine-hour standoff at mobile home that was near the scene of the incident. The suspect eventually surrendered to police.
Deputy Dewey underwent a series of operations and required rehabilitative care following the initial shooting. In July, he was moved into hospice care where he died from his wounds on August 9, 2010.
Prior to Deputy Dewey's death, the suspect was charged with attempted murder and 20 felony counts in connection with the incident.
Deputy Dewey is survived by his wife.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy