Mo. cop accidently shot, killed in training
Officer Dan De Kraai is survived by his wife and young daughter
Duty Death: Dan De Kraai - [St. Joseph, Missouri]
By PoliceOne Staff
ST. JOSEPH, Mo. — Officer Dan De Kraai was accidentally shot and killed during a training drill with other officers. According to information provided by the PD to the St. Joseph News-Press, prior to the start of a training session, De Kraai had asked a fellow officer to shoot him in the back with "Simunition" round so that he would know what being struck by it was like.
"Clearly, this accident should not have happened," the department said in a press release. "The application of safety rules was not sufficient to prevent an otherwise very preventable tragedy."
Officer De Kraai had served with the St. Joseph Police Department for five years. He is survived by his wife and young daughter.
Read more on ODMP.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Lawmaker says anti-cop Capitol painting is coming down
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Federal prosecutors won't charge SC deputy in viral video incident
- Can Baltimore's police reform deal survive Trump's DOJ?
- Fla. airport shooting highlights nexus between mentally ill, cops