Mo. cop accidently shot, killed in training
Officer Dan De Kraai is survived by his wife and young daughter
Duty Death: Dan De Kraai - [St. Joseph, Missouri]
By PoliceOne Staff
ST. JOSEPH, Mo. — Officer Dan De Kraai was accidentally shot and killed during a training drill with other officers. According to information provided by the PD to the St. Joseph News-Press, prior to the start of a training session, De Kraai had asked a fellow officer to shoot him in the back with "Simunition" round so that he would know what being struck by it was like.
"Clearly, this accident should not have happened," the department said in a press release. "The application of safety rules was not sufficient to prevent an otherwise very preventable tragedy."
Officer De Kraai had served with the St. Joseph Police Department for five years. He is survived by his wife and young daughter.
Read more on ODMP.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds