SD tribal officer killed in single-vehicle wreck
Officer Merrill Bruguier is survived by his wife and his son
Duty Death: Merrill Bruguier - [Cheyenne River Sioux, South Dakota]
By PoliceOne Staff
CHERRY CREEK, SD — Officer Merrill Bruguier was killed in a single vehicle crash at the intersection of S.D. Highway 63 and U.S. Highway 212 at approximately 4:00 am. He was traveling from Cherry Creek to Eagle Butte at the time of the crash.
Officer Bruguier was a U.S. Marine Corps veteran and had served with the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribal Police Department for 14 years.
“He was one of the finest officers I had ever worked with. He was well respected throughout the community,” fellow officer Chad Olson told the Rapid City Journal.
Bruguier is the third tribal officer to die in a vehicle wreck since 2000. He is survived by his 9-year-old son.
Read more on ODMP.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house