Coast Guard officer dies in training accident
He was attempting to transfer from one boat to another when he fell from a ladder into the water
Duty Death: Shaun Lin - [Coast Guard Office of Law Enforcement, District of Columbia]
JAMES RIVER, Va. -- Petty Officer Shaun Lin died during a training exercise in the James River, near Newport News, Virginia.
He was attempting to transfer from a 25-foot small boat to the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Frank Drew when he fell from a ladder into the water near the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge Tunnel.
His body was recovered the following evening after an intensive search by Coast Guard and local police and rescue dive teams.
Petty Officer Lin had served with the United States Coast Guard for three years and was assigned to MSST New York.
Read more on ODMP.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Texas cops don cowboy hats with uniforms