Mo. sergeant dies in helicopter crash
Was on patrol for 17 years and is survived by his mother and three sisters
Duty Death: Joseph (Joe) Schuengel - [State Highway Patrol, Missouri]
By PoliceOne Staff
ST. LOUIS, Mo. — Sergeant Joe Schuengel was killed in a helicopter crash while returning to Spirit of St. Louis Airport in one of the department's traffic enforcement helicopters.
He had dropped off several other troopers and was returning to the airport when the Bell 206B helicopter experienced a probable mechanical failure. It is believed he was able to maneuver the aircraft to avoid nearby houses before crashing into a residential street on Horseshoe Ridge Road.
Residents and responding officers immediately responded to the scene, but Sergeant Schuengel had been killed on impact.
Sergeant Schuengel had served with the Missouri State Highway Patrol for 17 years and is survived by his mother and three sisters.
Read more on ODMP.
- Airborne / Maritime
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman