Video: Fla. cop shoots window of burning car to save woman
The officer ordered everyone back and fired two shots into the rear passenger window
BOCA RATON, Fla. — A video shows a South Florida police officer shooting out a side window of a burning car to rescue a woman.
Boca Raton police officer Jimmy Jalil says he and another man who stopped to help tried to break the window. But after nearly a dozen attempts, the 32-year-old Jalil decided to use his gun.
Jalil said Friday on CBS' "Early Show" that he knew the bullet would be able to penetrate the window.
Jalil ordered everyone back and fired two shots into the rear passenger window. The dash-mounted police camera captured Jalil clearing the window of glass, then pulling the woman out.
Authorities say the driver of the car lost control on Interstate 95 on Wednesday night, slamming into a utility pole. The car then burst into flames. The driver was ejected and died.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper