Calif. cop hits tree in high-speed chase, dies
Officer Jermaine Gibson is survived by his wife and infant son
Duty Death: Officer Jermaine Gibson - [Cathedral City Police Department, California]
By PoliceOne Staff
CATHEDRAL CITY, Calif. — Officer Jermaine Gibson was killed in a high-speed chase after his patrol car left the road and collided with a tree. Officer Gibson attempted to pull over a stolen vehicle at approximately 23:30 hours and gave chase after the suspect failed to pull over.
Gibson's vehicle left the road and crashed in Palm Springs at approximately 23:55 hours. The suspect vehicle also crashed, and two suspects were taken into custody.
Officer Gibson was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after midnight.
Officer Gibson had been with Cathedral City for approximately 18 months, and had been in law enforcement for approximately three years. He is survived by his wife and infant son.
Read more on ODMP.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help