NY State Police honor the fallen, hand out awards
Among the honored was Trooper Kevin Dobson, who died after being struck while issuing a traffic ticket
ALBANY, N.Y. — Three troopers who shot a man after he killed his baby with a shotgun are among those being honored at the New York State Police's 35th annual memorial and awards ceremony at the State Police Academy in Albany.
The Brummer Award, the agency's highest award for bravery, is being presented Thursday morning to Sgt. Thomas Haumann, Trooper Carlo Gennario, and Trooper Richard Snyder, all of Troop D in Sylvan Beach.
They shot 21-year-old Adam Theall last July after he killed his 3-month-old son. The Oneida County man is now serving 25 years to life in prison.
State troopers in western New York held their annual memorial service Wednesday in Batavia.
Among those honored was Trooper Kevin Dobson, who died after being struck while issuing a traffic ticket on Interstate 290.
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help