Officer dies in fiery crash following bike collision
Car crash engulfs vehicle in flames and kills Officer Russell A. George
Duty Death: Russell A. George - [Ball, Louisiana]
By PoliceOne Staff
BALL, La. — State police are investigating a crash that killed a Ball police officer early Sunday.
Officer Russell A. George was traveling south on U.S. 165 when his patrol car hit an abandoned bicycle on the road, causing the vehicle to spin off the highway and into nearby trees, according to The Town Talk.
After colliding with the trees, the cruiser caught fire, investigators say.
Unable to escape from the burning vehicle, 47-year-old George was pronounced dead on the scene.
He had been responding to a call for assistance from another Ball Police Department unit when the accident happened, according to The Town Talk.
"Our heart goes out to the family. We're doing the best we can for the family and the fellow officers,” Ball interim Mayor Roger Toney said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman