Officer, gunman killed in Ind. shootout
Officer Brent Long died a few hours after the shooting Monday afternoon
Duty Death: Brent Long - [Terre Haute, Indiana]
TERRE HAUTE, Ind. — A police officer and a man being served an arrest warrant have been killed during a gun battle at a home in western Indiana.
Assistant Terre Haute Police Chief Shawn Keen says Officer Brent Long died a few hours after the shooting Monday afternoon on the city's north side. Keen says Long was a six-year police veteran and a member of the city's SWAT team.
Indiana State Police Sgt. Joe Watts says the suspected gunman was 33-year-old Shaun M. Seeley.
Watts says Long and his dog, Shadow, were among a team of state, federal and local officers serving the warrant for violation of probation and receiving stolen goods. Watts says the suspect opened fire within seconds of them entering the home.
The dog also was shot and is being treated.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman