17-year-old arrested in killing of Ga. deputy
Rick Daly had been in law enforcement for more than two decades
Duty Death: Richard Daly - [Clayton County, Georgia]
JONESBORO, Ga. — Police say they have arrested a teenager suspected of fatally shooting a sheriff's deputy south of Atlanta.
Clayton County Sheriff Kem Kimbrough said Thursday that 17-year-old Jonathan Bun of Riverdale was arrested in the killing of deputy Rick Daly.
At least 40 police officers were involved in a manhunt after the shooting Wednesday.
The sheriff says Daly was making a traffic stop so officers could serve a warrant on Bun for an armed robbery charge when the shooting occurred.
He says the 55-year-old Daly had been in law enforcement for more than two decades.
Kimbrough says it's the first time a Clayton County deputy has been killed in the line of duty.
The sheriff says Bun is being treated at a hospital for bites from a police dog.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- No charges for Charlotte officer who fatally shot Keith Lamont Scott
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Fla. woman urinates, defecates in patrol car after throwing dog into traffic