Crash claims NC officer's life
Officer Russell Willingham's patrol car became engulfed in flames as he tried to assist other officers
Duty Death: Russell Willingham - [Winston-Salem, North Carolina]
By PoliceOne Staff
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Police Officer Russell Willingham was killed in an automobile accident early Saturday morning.
The Winston-Salem officer had been responding to backup other officers trying to stop a possible drunk driver when his patrol car left the roadway and hit a tree.
Willingham successfully notified dispatch, but when rescue units arrived, his vehicle was fully engulfed in flames, My Fox 8 reported.
Officer Willingham had served with the Winston-Salem Police Department for two years and had previously served with the Greensboro Police Department.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court