Second SD officer dies from shootout injuries
Officer Nick Armstrong, 27, died Sunday from a gunshot wound
Duty Death: Nick Armstrong - [Rapid City, South Dakota]
By PoliceOne Staff
RAPID CITY, S.D. — A second Rapid City police officer shot in a confrontation Tuesday has died.
Hours after the funeral of Officer James Ryan McCandless, Rapid City Police Chief Steve Allender reported that Officer Nick Armstrong, who had been receiving treatment for a gunshot wound, had also fallen.
Armstrong, a two-year police veteran, was one of two officers injured, according to the Rapid City Journal. McCandless died immediately after the confrontation.
"Nick was a compassionate officer that treated everyone with the highest degree of respect," Allender said.
Funeral arrangements are pending.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house