Suspect ID'd in Pa. police officer's slaying
Freemansburg Officer Robert Lasso was fatally shot Thursday
Duty Death: Robert Lasso - [Freemansburg, Pennsylvania]
FREEMANSBURG, Pa. — Authorities have identified the man they say killed a Pennsylvania borough police officer who was responding to a report of a domestic dispute.
Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli identified the suspect in the killing of Freemansburg Officer Robert Lasso as 46-year-old George Hitcho Jr.
Investigators say Hitcho fatally shot Lasso as the officer approached his home Thursday afternoon. A shotgun police believe was used in the killing was recovered at the scene.
Court documents show Lasso had previously arrested Hitcho in a case that ended with Hitcho pleading guilty to a drug paraphernalia charge in 2007.
Lasso was pronounced dead at a hospital before 6 p.m. Thursday. Officials say he was married with two young children.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman
- Video: Mo. governor completes SWAT challenge in honor of slain deputy