Deputy killed in crash remembered as loving dad
Mark Scianna, 49, was the father of a special-needs boy
Duty Death: Mark Scianna - [Bexar County, Texas]
By PoliceOne Staff
SAN ANTONIO — A deputy constable working an overnight shift as traffic supervisor was killed in an automobile accident.
Mark Scianna, 49, crashed his patrol car into two utility poles Saturday night, according to the Houston Chronicle.
He was ejected from the vehicle on impact, but he managed to activate the cruiser’s emergency button, Constable Mark Vojvodich said. First responders who rushed to the scene were unable to save his life.
Officials say the car’s emergency lights were on, but the circumstances of the accident remain under investigation.
Scianna had been with the Bexar County department for two years, and fellow officers say he was outgoing and enjoyed serving his community. He was the father of a special-needs boy who he called before bed every night - even while on duty.
"His son meant the world to him," Vojvodich said. "He would stop whatever he was doing, call him, and even sing him a little song. He was an excellent father."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- 84-year-old cop retires after 61 years on force
- Wash. officer shot multiple times during domestic call dies
- Retired RI cop helps Fla. trooper under attack
- Police: Marksman fatally shot Wash. cop killer who was using child as shield
- Photo: Son of slain Mo. cop receives teddy bears made from dad’s uniform