Accidental discharge kills Ga. probation officer
Tiffany Bishop was participating in firearms training on Wed.
Duty Death: Tiffany Bishop - [Atlanta, Georgia]
By PoliceOne Staff
ATLANTA — Probation Officer Tiffany Bishop was accidentally shot and killed at the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson, Georgia on Wed. during a training exercise.
A loaded weapon was accidentally discharged during a firearms training exercise, fatally wounding Bishop, according to ODMP. Bishop was transported to a nearby hospital, but died on the way.
Twenty-four-year-old Bishop had served with the Georgia Department of Corrections for six months.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigations is investigating why the instructor, who is reportedly a veteran, used a live firearm in the training session.
"He's traumatized by the whole thing; it's impacted him greatly," said the GBI's John Bankhead in an interview with MyFoxAtlanta.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds