Officer dies after NYPD academy training run
Officer Sherman Abrams, 28, went running in downtown Manhattan
Duty Death: Sherman Abrams - [New York, New York]
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW YORK — A police officer participating in an NYPD training exercise collapsed and died shortly afterward.
Officer Sherman Abrams, 28, went running in downtown Manhattan with his academy class Monday, according to WABC. He fell down after finishing the run and died a short time later.
Police Commissioner Ray Kelly met with the family at Beth Israel Medical Center to reflect on Abrams, who entered the Police Academy in July after serving as a corrections officer for four years.
A medical examination is underway to determine the cause of death.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds