Deputy sheriff succumbs to crash injuries
Derrick Whittle served with his department for less than a year
Duty Death: Derrick Whittle - [Union County, Georgia]
By PoliceOne Staff
UNION COUNTY, Ga. — A Union County deputy sheriff died Sunday as a result of injuries sustained in a car accident three days prior.
Derrick Whittle, 39, was responding to a domestic disturbance when his cruiser struck a tree on the side of the road, according to ODMP.
Whittle, who had been with his department for less than one year, was taken to a hospital nearby before being flown to another facility in Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he was treated until he succumbed to his injuries.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds