More details emerge in Mich. officer's death
Authorities helped piece together the pursuit and shootout that killed Officer Trevor Slot
Duty Death: Trevor Slot - [Walker, Michigan]
By PoliceOne Staff
OTTAWA COUNTY, Mich. — Authorities pieced together the pursuit and shootout killed Walker police officer Trevor Slot and left two others dead.
Two men wearing masks and carrying long guns entered a bank in Ravenna on Thursday morning, WXMI reported. A customer using a drive-thru ATM noticed and immediately reported the robbery to police as the suspects fled the scene.
During the chase, the two men pulled into a secluded area where police think they switched vehicles, then continued onto the highway, where they fired shots at several patrol cars, police said. Officers, fearing for the public’s safety, did not return fire.
Officer Slot was preparing to deploy stop sticks when he was struck and killed by the suspects’ vehicle. The stop sticks were still in Slot’s trunk when he was struck, authorities said.
Several officers stopped pursuing the suspects in order to assist Slot, but he was pronounced dead on the scene.
Slot “was an exceptional officer,” Walker Police Chief Garcia-Lindstrom said.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Video: Alaska police fatally shoot armed man holding hostages
- Police: Some Chicago gangs turning to rifles for added firepower
- Retired CHP sergeant dies while protecting friend from robber
- Video: Ind. trooper informs drivers about 'pretty incredible' turn signal
- Del. officer, police cadet killed in off-duty crash