Ga. detective dies at crash scene
Detective Shane Wilson was off duty but on call
Duty Death: Shane Wilson - [Doraville, Georgia]
By PoliceOne Staff
DORAVILLE, Ga. — An off-duty detective was killed in a head-on crash with a reported drunk driver Monday.
Detective R. Shane Wilson was on call as a SWAT officer when dispatchers informed him of a home invasion call, according to ODMP. As he drove to the scene, the accident occurred. Shortly afterward he succumbed to his injuries, according to reports.
Investigators arrived and combed the scene for nearly four hours, WSBTV reported. They returned several hours later to collect more information, and it is believed that alcohol may have played a role.
Wilson, a four-year veteran of the Doraville Police Department, leaves behind a wife, an 8-year-old son, and a slew of fellow officers who will remember him.
"Nothing prepares you for a day like today," Doraville Police Chief John King said. "Something like this is truly tragic. Shane was an incredibly young, agressive, passionate police officer. He loved his job. He loved this community."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house