Death of NM sheriff under investigation
Leigh County Sheriff Rod Coffman died from an injury sustained Sunday night
By PoliceOne Staff
LOVINGTON, N.M. — Leigh County Sheriff Rod Coffman died from an injury sustained Sunday night, according to KCBD.
New Mexico State Police are investigating, and Lea County Undersheriff Mark Hargrove will take over department management, stating that it will operate as normal.
"The department has lost a respected member of the department and a dedicated member of the profession," a Lea County Sheriff's Department press release said. "The members of our department wish to express our condolences to the Coffman family and his many friends. Our prayers are with them all."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help