Death of NM sheriff under investigation
Leigh County Sheriff Rod Coffman died from an injury sustained Sunday night
By PoliceOne Staff
LOVINGTON, N.M. — Leigh County Sheriff Rod Coffman died from an injury sustained Sunday night, according to KCBD.
New Mexico State Police are investigating, and Lea County Undersheriff Mark Hargrove will take over department management, stating that it will operate as normal.
"The department has lost a respected member of the department and a dedicated member of the profession," a Lea County Sheriff's Department press release said. "The members of our department wish to express our condolences to the Coffman family and his many friends. Our prayers are with them all."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman