Kan. officer killed on a nuisance call
David Enzbrenner, a 24-year veteran of the Atchison police department, was shot by 25-year-old Skyler Barbee, who then killed himself
Duty Death: David Enzbrenner - [Atchison, Kansas]
ATCHISON, Kan. — Kansas police say a man who appeared "out of nowhere" fatally shot and killed an officer who was serving a nuisance order, then fatally shot himself.
Atchison County Sheriff John Calhoon tells the St. Joseph News-Press that Sgt. David Enzbrenner was shot about 4 p.m. Friday by 25-year-old Skyler Barbee. Enzbrenner, a 24-year veteran of the Atchison police department, later died at a hospital. He has a wife and two daughters.
Calhoun says it was not immediately clear whether Barbee was a resident of the home where the order was served.
He says police are getting "tremendous" support from other law enforcement agencies and it's "very critical" to give support to the victims' family.
No further information was available. An investigation is ongoing.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house