Suspect wanted in Pa. officer's death is killed
Investigators: Suspect killed East Washington police Officer John David Dryer late Sunday night after being pulled over
Duty Death: John David Dryer - [East Washington, Pennsylvania]
By Kevin Begos
WEBSTER, Pa. — Police say members of a SWAT team have shot and killed a man who is suspected of fatally shooting a southwestern Pennsylvania police officer.
Another officer was wounded in the gunbattle, which started with a late-night traffic stop.
State police say 58-year-old Eli Franklin Myers was killed after firing on officers outside his home in Webster, about 25 miles south of Pittsburgh.
Investigators say Myers killed East Washington police Officer John David Dryer late Sunday night after being pulled over on Interstate 70. A second officer sustained injuries that aren't considered life-threatening.
It was not clear what led to the traffic stop.
Police surrounded Myers' home for several hours on Monday, blocking off roads in the small town on the east bank of the Monongahela River.
Copyright 2011 Associated Press
Copyright Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC officers cannot record inauguration demonstrators
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help