FBI agent dies trying to save swimmer in Puerto Rico
Daniel Knapp, 43, had been with the FBI for six years
Duty Death: Daniel Knapp - [Washington, District of Columbia]
By Carol Cratty
WASHINGTON — An FBI agent drowned Thursday in Puerto Rico while trying to save a swimmer, the FBI announced Friday.
Special Agent Daniel Knapp was off duty and at the beach when friends of a struggling swimmer asked for help. Knapp put on his swim fins and went into the water off Playa Escondida — Spanish for Hidden Beach — in Fajardo, Puerto Rico.
Knapp reached the 18-year-old swimmer and was assisting him, but was overcome by waves, FBI spokesman Harry Rodriguez said. A police boat reached the swimmer and he was pulled to safety.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- ND bill protects drivers who negligently hit protesters obstructing traffic
- Slain Fla. officer's patrol car vandalized
- Video: Calif. police fatally shoot man, face wrongful death lawsuit
- Minn. lawmakers chart new course in response to OIS protests
- Trump hosts LE at White House, pledges support for police