Former SC sheriff dies doing fire operations
David Crenshaw served in the Pendleton Police Department before joining the Anderson County Sheriff's Office in 1974
By Nikie Mayo, Kirk Brown, Charmaine Smith-Miles, Anna Mitchell and Jennifer Howard
ANDERSON COUNTY, S.C. — David Crenshaw, who spent five decades as a Pendleton firefighter and four years as Anderson County's sheriff, was remembered by friends Monday as "a gentle giant" who gave his life to public service.
Crenshaw was responding to a car crash on behalf of the Pendleton Fire Department when he collapsed on a pump panel Monday morning. Workers at the scene immediately started trying to revive Crenshaw, but he was unresponsive. He was pronounced dead at AnMed Health Medical Center in Anderson shortly before 8 a.m. He was 63.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Former SC sheriff dies doing fire operations
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court