Conn. detective in coma since 2003 dies
Andrew Faggio suffered severe head injuries in a car accident
Duty Death: Andrew Faggio - [New Haven, Connecticut]
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — A detective succumbed to severe head injuries sustained in a 2003 car accident Wednesday.
The accident occurred when a vehicle traveling in the wrong lane struck the patrol car of Detective Andrew Faggio, who was on his way to a stakeout assignment, according to the Officer Down Memorial Page. The 14-year veteran of the New Haven Police Department went into a coma, from which he never emerged.
He leaves behind a wife, Jennifer, and two sons, and the community remembers his service.
“Andy was a terrific cop who cared about his work, his family, and his community," Mayor John DeStefano said in a statement obtained by the New Haven Independent. "His sacrifice, and the sacrifice of his family, remind us of the risk that public safety officers face and how their world can be changed in a moment. I extend the city’s deepest sympathies for a life well lived."
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Video: Alleged Fla. cop killer refuses lawyer, shouts profanities in court
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help