Ga. officer killed on interstate
Officer Gail Thomas had just left her patrol car when she was struck by a drunk driver
Duty Death: Gail Thomas - [Atlanta, Georgia]
By PoliceOne Staff
ATLANTA — A 15-year Atlanta police veteran was killed by a drunk driver Tuesday night, sources said.
Officer Gail Thomas arrived to assist another officer with an earlier traffic accident, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. Police say Thomas had just left her patrol car when she was struck by the vehicle of Chasity Jones, 22, killing her at the scene.
Jones was charged with driving under the influence, homicide by vehicle, 1st degree and reckless driving, Atlanta police spokesman Carlos Campos said. Jones blew a .16 on a breathalyzer exam and was booked into Fulton County Jail, where she awaits her Thursday trial.
Friends and colleagues remember Thomas as a sweet, happy woman who was always smiling.
"Gail was one of the nicest people that you would ever want to meet," Former Atlanta police Major John Woodard said. "Her death will leave a hole in the hearts of those who knew her."
The flag outside Atlanta police headquarters was lowered to half-staff Wednesday morning.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman