Fla. detective killed in gunfight
Clay County deputy dies investigating tip
Duty Death: David White - [Jacksonville, Florida]
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Authorities say a Clay County Sheriff's Office narcotics detective investigating a tip related to drugs at a Middleburg home and another man have been killed in a gunfight.
The Florida Times-Union reports that spokeswoman Mary Justino says 35-year-old David White was a nine-year veteran of the sheriff's office when he was killed Thursday evening.
Five men are in custody and no information was immediately released on the other man who was killed.
Justino says the detectives tried to speak to a man at the door when it was slammed shut. She says shots were fired when the detectives tried to enter the home and authorities shot the fleeing gunman.
Matt Hanlin, a second detective, is in serious but stable condition at a hospital after being shot in the arm.
Reprinted with permission from WESH
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman