Video released in shooting of 6 Utah officers
Shootout left an officer dead and five other officers wounded
By PoliceOne Staff
OGDEN, Utah — Newly-released dash cam video shows scenes from a shootout that left an officer dead and five other officers wounded.
The footage was taken as officers arrived at an Ogden home where fellow cops were conducting a drug raid in January, KSL reported. As an arriving officer approaches, he is warned of "shots fired."
Police said Matthew David Stewart, a 37-year-old Army veteran, waited for them to enter before firing from a concealed position. When police returned fire, Stewart fled through a window, according to an affidavit. Police say he continued to fire from a backyard shed before being shot and taken into custody.
Officer Jared Francom, 30, died in the exchange of gunfire. Five officers were wounded.
In the video, police attempt to get into position and help where they can. Some stay in the vehicle, trying to determine if the downed officer had been cleared. A second video shows wounded officer Michael Rounkles being loaded into a cruiser and driven to the hospital. Officers decide not to wait for an ambulance.
Stewart was charged with capital murder and could face the death penalty.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Facing massive officer shortage, Ariz. agencies looking to hire hundreds